Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sangha

Portrait of Jnanatapa surrounded by lamas and mahasiddhas, ca 1350. Tibet, Riwoche monastery.



Sitting here in Japan late on a crisp autumn Sunday night, and writing a few words before I head for a well needed sleep, I felt the urge to write something about Sangha. What is it?

As a buddhist, we understand Sangha as the community of other buddhist dharma practitioners. Could we indeed stretch that concept again a little further to say that it is the community of other human beings on this earth pursuing a spiritual path?Maybe. In fact, I think that it could even be viewed as the potential for spiritual discovery in every human being and therefore inclusive of all beings; for who can say for sure that the quest to become enlightened won't spontaneously begin at any moment?

For the first category, I can only share my experiences. Often, sangha has driven me nuts. This group, that group, these guys don't talk to those guys, 'we' are the ones that have the real path to truth, everyone else is somehow a little more deluded than us, my teacher is the best etc. Wow, how petty and small minded we can be. Including me!

Politics seems to worm its way into everything. If that isn't enough, teachers die or move on, and communities tear themselves apart from within. There is always some drama striking one community or another. Underline drama. Because really, its more like a comedy more often than not.

Lets face it, the idea of community for any human being is tough. People have a unique ability to piss us off, often when we least expect it. I have spent many an hour fuming over what I saw as a potential slight from someone, only to find out later that it was nothing. Or that I actually misunderstood. Or I was just having a bad hair day.

I miss Sangha! In Japan currently we have pretty much reached the lowest of the low in terms of spiritual journey. Temples have hours of operation, you cant just go there when you like, they are more like museums than actual places of worship. Don't believe me? Go to Kyoto. No one is sitting there actually practicing. It's a tourist attraction, nothing more. Your average Japanese spends about 5/10 minutes walking around the garden, just takes a few pictures so that when they go home, they can say that they have been there. Priests are often unfortunately more concerned with how much money they can charge for funeral rites than actually teaching anything about what a precious thing the dharma is and how it can enrich anyone's life. How many chats have I had with your average japanese in four years of being here about their spiritual journey? Very very few. Even amonst my good friends.

Of course, there are your Zen temples for westerners. But, they are seen as novelties by the local japanese, and another photo opportunity. The few I visted, the practitioners didn't strike me as being particularly happy or content, more like angry and discontented. Not many smiles.

Don't get me wrong- there are places where the dharma is still alive and kicking, but you really have to look. For the average japanese, it's worth way too much effort- they would rather go shopping or watch some gourmet food show on tv.

So why did I write this? To remind you all just how fortunate you really are. Do you currently have someone that comes to mind that drives you nuts? How lucky! A chance to practice your bodhicitta and all those spiritual skills you have accumulated. Time to test them! Got some community activity you would rather not attend? Great! Time to exert your compassion and get to know those other confused humans that you share a teacher with.

You are sooo lucky! At this point, I would die for another neurotic buddhist to chat with! So, please, please dont forget how lucky you are to be around others on the path. I certainly wont.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

HI from Marc

Hello to all,
I have decided to revive this blog and start compliling some of the stories into a book format. Any comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers
markeu

Followers

My Blog List

About Me

Read post number one! You will learn more as the weeks progress